Plex Media Server on OMV 5 inside Docker with Portainer using RPi 4
In this segment we are going to show you “How to Install Plex Media Server on OpenMediaVault 5 inside Docker with Portainer using RPi 4“
What is Plex Media Server ?
Plex is a client–server media player system and software suite comprising two main components. The Plex Media Server desktop application runs on Windows, macOS and Linux, including some types of NAS devices. The server desktop application organizes video, audio, and photos from a user’s collections and from online services, enabling the players to access and stream the contents. There are also official clients available for mobile devices, smart TVs, and streaming boxes, a web app, and Plex Home Theater (no longer maintained), as well as many third-party alternatives.
Plex offers a paid-subscription service called Plex Pass, with additional features, including synchronization with mobile devices, cloud storage integration, metadata fetching for music, support for multiple users, parental controls, live TV and DVR, trailers, extras, and cross-selling offers.
Source /> Wikipedia
OpenMediaVault Versions :
OpenMediaVault 5 Installation Guide :
version: "2" services: plex: image: linuxserver/plex container_name: plex network_mode: host environment: - PUID=1000 - PGID=1000 - VERSION=docker - UMASK_SET=022 #optional - PLEX_CLAIM= #optional volumes: - /path/to/library:/config - path/to/tvseries:/tv - /path/to/movies:/movies restart: unless-stopped
Step 1 : Creating Plex Media Server container and Pull Docker image
- First of all, we need to navigate to Containers and then click on Add container.
- Secondly, fill the details as mentioned below in the picture, Choose a name for your container and image name as linuxserver/plex image.
- Always pull the image option must be checked, if the image is not already downloaded.
Step 2: Configure Plex Media Server container
- Firstly, to configure Plex container we need to navigate to Volumes.
- After that as per Docker Compose, we need to create 3 folders on our NAS drive.
- Then we need to bind these folders to our Plex Media Server as shown in the picture below.
Folders need to create : /config : /movies : /tv : /transcode : /music "optional" : /photos "optional" : /other videos "optional"
- Once we bind all the folders then we need to navigate to Network and select Network as Host.
- After that we need to navigate to Env and create below given environment variable as per Docker compose.
TZ : Asia/Kokata PUID : 1001 PGID : 100 VERSION : docker
How to find PUID & PGID
- However, to find PUID and PGID we can use the below given command.
id name of the user UID : "PUID" GID : "PGID"
- At last we need to click on Restart Policy and here we need to select Unless stopped.
Step 3 : Access Plex Web Interface
- To access the Plex web interface we need to type the OpenMediaVault IP Address:32400/web
- After that follow the on screen instructions to configure Plex or you can refer to our video.
In conclusion, you are all set to use Raspberry Pi 4 as Plex Media Server on OpenMediaVault 5 with the help of Docker.
If you face any issue regarding this article please share your thoughts.
Enjoy using Plex Media Server on Docker using Openmediavault.
Please checkout my other articles:
Did you Like my Work ?
Please Like, Share and Subscribe our YouTube Channel.