Raspberry Pi as Chromecast Device
What is Chromecast ?
Chromecast is a line of digital media players developed by Google. The devices, designed as small dongles, enable users with a mobile device or personal computer to play Internet-streamed audio-visual content on a high-definition television or home audio system through mobile and web apps that support the Google Cast technology. Alternatively, content can be mirrored from the Google Chrome web browser running on a personal computer, as well as from the screen of some Android devices.
Source /> Wikipedia
Equipment Required :
Raspberry Pi All Models
Micro SD Card 8 GB
Ethernet Cord for LAN Connection
Raspberry Pi Case
Software Required :
What is OpenMAX ?
OpenMAX (Open Media Acceleration), often shortened as “OMX“, is a non-proprietary and royalty-free cross-platform set of C-language programming interfaces. It provides abstractions for routines that are especially useful for processing of audio, video, and still images. It is intended for low power and embedded system devices (including smartphones, game consoles, digital media players, and set-top boxes) that need to efficiently process large amounts of multimedia data in predictable ways, such as video codecs, graphics libraries, and other functions for video, image, audio, voice and speech.
Step-1 : Downloading & Installing “Raspbian Stretch with Desktop”
- First of all we need to download “Raspbian” image to setup Chromecast.
- After that, we need to open Terminal, then update and upgrade our Raspbian OS.
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
Enabling SSH in Raspbian OS
- By default SSH is disabled in Raspbian. So, we need to enable it from desktop.
- Launch Raspberry Pi Configuration.
- Click on the Pi icon from Top Left Corner –> Preferences –> Raspberry Pi Configuration
- Navigate to the Interfaces tab
- Select Enabled next to SSH
- Click OK.
Enabling SSH in Raspbian OS through Terminal
- First of all Open Terminal and Type
- Secondly, navigate to Interfacing Options and press Enter.
- Finally, select SSH and enable it by pressing the Enter.
Enabling SSH in Raspbian OS through Commands
sudo systemctl enable ssh sudo systemctl start ssh
- After that, to find out the IP Address, we use Wireless Network Watcher that will display the IP Address as shown below.
STEP- 2 : Installing OpenMax Image Viewer
- First of all, clone the OpenMax image viewer for the Raspberry Pi Repository
git clone https://github.com/HaarigerHarald/omxiv
- After that, Install the necessary packages from the below given commands.
sudo apt-get install libjpeg8-dev libpng12-dev
- Finally, build and install ilclient
cd omxiv make ilclient make sudo make install
STEP- 3 : Install RaspiCast on Android
- Firstly, open PlayStore and search for RaspiCast.
- After that, click on Install to Install the APP. If already installed click on “Open“.
- Finally, follow the video to case the mobile screen to TV.
In conclusion, You are ready to use Raspberry Pi as Chromecast.
If you have any suggestions regarding this article please mention in the comment section down below.
Please checkout my other articles:
Did you Like my Work ?
Please Like, Share and Subscribe our YouTube Channel.