Plex Media Server on Docker for Raspberry Pi All Models
In this segment we are going to “Install Plex Media Server on Docker for Raspberry Pi All Models”.
>/ What is Plex Media Server ?
Plex is a client-server media player system and software suite comprising two main components. The Plex Media Server desktop application runs on Windows, macOS and Linux-compatibles including some types of NAS devices.
The server desktop application organizes video, audio and photos from a user’s collections and from online services, enabling the players to access and stream the contents. There are also official clients available for mobile devices, smart TVs, and streaming boxes, a web app, and Plex Home Theater (no longer maintained), as well as many third-party alternatives.
Installing Plex Media Server on Docker
/> Software to Download
Equipment Required :
Raspberry Pi All Models
Micro SD Card “Minimum 8 GB”
Ethernet Cord for LAN Connection
Raspberry Pi Case
Raspbian OS Installation
- Download Raspbian OS from Official Website : raspberrypi.org
- Then write the image to the SD Card using : Etcher
- Now, Boot the Raspberry Pi with this SD Card, Follow the On-Screen Instructions and then open Terminal.
Enabling SSH in Raspbian OS
- By default SSH is disabled in Raspbian. So, we need to enable it from desktop.
- Launch Raspberry Pi Configuration.
Menu –> Preferences –> Raspberry Pi Configuration
- Navigate to the Interfaces tab
- Select Enabled next to SSH
- Click OK.
Enabling SSH in Raspbian OS through Terminal
- Enter sudo raspi-config in a terminal window
- Select Interfacing Options
- Navigate to and select SSH
- Choose Yes–> Ok –> Finish
Enabling SSH in Raspbian OS through Commands
sudo systemctl enable ssh sudo systemctl start ssh
Plex on Docker
Pull Plex Docker Image
- This command will pull the Plex image for Docker.
docker pull lsioarmhf/plex
To find PUID & PGID type
- Type ID on the start prompt and you will find UID & GID. As shown in the picture below.
- Let’s setup the Plex container with following commands.
docker create \
-e PUID=1000 -e PGID=1000 \
-e TZ=Asia/Kolkata \
-v /mnt/PcMac:/config \
-v /mnt/PcMac:/data/movies \
-v /mnt/PcMac:/data/tvshows \
-v /mnt/PcMac:/transcode \
Start Plex Container
- Docker start command will going to start the Plex Container.
docker start "Container Name or ID"
Accessing Plex Media Server
- Here server local IP Address is your Raspberry Pi Address.
Now, You are ready to use Plex with Docker on your Raspberry Pi..
Enjoy using Plex on Raspberry Pi.