In this segment we are going to "Install Tor Hotspot on RaspberryPi inside DietPi"
What is DietPi ?
DietPi is extremely lightweight operating system, start at 400MB in size (3x lighter than 'Raspbian Lite'). With features of low process/memory footprint and DietPi-RAMlog installed by default, DietPi allows you to get the maximum performance from your device.
Equipment Required :
Raspberry Pi 3 Model B +
Micro SD Card "Minimum 4 GB"
Ethernet Cord for LAN Connection
External Hard Drive or USB Drive
Raspberry Pi Case
What is WiFi Tor HotSpot ?
Tor is free software for enabling anonymous communication. The name is derived from an acronym for the original software project name "The Onion Router". Tor directs Internet traffic through a free, worldwide, volunteer overlay network consisting of more than seven thousand relays to conceal a user's location and usage from anyone conducting network surveillance or traffic analysis. Using Tor makes it more difficult to trace Internet activity to the user: this includes "visits to Web sites, online posts, instant messages, and other communication forms". Tor's intended use is to protect the personal privacy of its users, as well as their freedom and ability to conduct confidential communication by keeping their Internet activities from being monitored.
> Package Required to Install
- WiFi HotSpot - Turn your device into a wireless hotspot/access point.
- Tor HotSpot - Optional: Routes all WiFi HotSpot traffic through the Tor network.
- First of all we need of open Wireless Network Watcher to access the IP Address of our Raspberry Pi.
- Then we need to open SSH console Putty, and type the IP Address to connect the DietPi CLI.
- After we logged in to DietPi, then you need to type a command to access the dietpi-software.
- Now, navigate to Software Optimized and select WiFi HotSpot & Tor HotSpot by using the Spacebar and press OK.
- Then navigate to Install and press OK. After that installation will take around 5-10 min to complete setup.
- Once the setup complete the system will reboot to finalize the settings.
- After that you need to follow the on-screen instructions to finalize Tor HotSpot setup.
Tor WiFi HotSpot Default Settings
- SSID : DietPi-HotSpot
- Password : dietpihotspot
> Verify traffic is being routed through Tor
- On the connected WiFi device, go to the following URL: https://check.torproject.org
- If you see this screen that means you are not connected to your Tor Hotspot or something went wrong.
- If you are connected to Tor Hotspot you will see this screen.
> Change WiFi HotSpot Default Settings
- First of all we need to type dietpi-config, that will take us to the dietpi configuration secreen.
- Then we need to navigate to Networking Options: >> Adapters, then select WiFi.
- After that you can change your SSID and Security Key from here.
- It is highly recommended you set the Country Code to your country.
- Depending on your country regulations, this could allow for channels 12/13 and increased power output (range) for the hotspot.
Enjoy using it and share your thoughts.