In this segment we are going to "Install Plex Media Server on RaspberryPi inside DietPi"
What is DietPi ?
DietPi is extremely lightweight operating system, start at 400MB in size (3x lighter than 'Raspbian Lite'). With features of low process/memory footprint and DietPi-RAMlog installed by default, DietPi allows you to get the maximum performance from your device.
Equipment Required :
Raspberry Pi 3 Model B +
Micro SD Card "Minimum 4 GB"
Ethernet Cord for LAN Connection
External Hard Drive or USB Drive
Raspberry Pi Case
What is Plex Media Server ?
Plex is a client-server media player system and software suite comprising two main components. The Plex Media Server desktop application runs on Windows, macOS and Linux-compatibles including some types of NAS devices.
The server desktop application organizes video, audio and photos from a user's collections and from online services, enabling the players to access and stream the contents. There are also official clients available for mobile devices, smart TVs, and streaming boxes, a web app, and Plex Home Theater (no longer maintained), as well as many third-party alternatives.
> Package Required to Install
1. File Server : You can Install any one of the File Server from the List.
- ProFTP - Simple, efficient, lightweight FTP file server.
- Samba - Feature rich file server.
- vsFTPD - Feature rich FTP file server.
- NFS - Network file system server.
- First of all we need of open Wireless Network Watcher to access the IP Address of our Raspberry Pi.
- Then we need to open SSH console Putty, and type the IP Address to connect the DietPi CLI.
- After we logged in to DietPi, then you need to type a command to access the dietpi-software.
- Now, navigate to Software Optimized and select Plex & Samba by using the Spacebar and press OK.
- Then navigate to Install and press OK. After that installation will take around 5-10 min to complete setup.
- Once the setup complete the system will reboot to finalize the settings.
- After that you need to follow the on-screen instructions to finalize Plex Media Server setup.
> Access Web Interface
- url = http://localhost:32400/web "where 'localhost' is your DietPi IP Address."
- Once you open this URL then you need to follow the onscreen guide to setup the Plex Media Server.
Accessing NAS Server
- You need to open the run box and type your Raspberry pi Ip address
- Address = \\Your Raspberry Pi IP Address or \\dietpi\dietpi
In my case \\192.168.1.73
- Default Username : dietpi
- Default Password : dietpi
> Change Samba password
- smbpasswd -a dietpi